Welcome to Resources for CAPE Students & Faculty!
The Center for Alternative Programs in Education (CAPE) is an adult degree program designed to serve adult students interested in earning an undergraduate degree that fits with the multiple responsibilities of the average working adult. The program’s mission is to provide quality educational services to adult learners to prepare them to compete in the 21st century workforce and become productive citizens in their surrounding communities, the nation and the world. Since 1994, more than 4,000 students have graduated from the program.
The library offers the following services for Distance Education students and faculty:
- Research consultations with librarians via phone and Internet
- Virtual reference services: e-mail and chat
- Electronic course reserves
- Course-specific subject and research guides
- Delivery of books and electronic delivery of electronic journals through interlibrary loan.
- Remote access to electronic databases, full-text journal articles, and e-books
Shaw University has 9 CAPE Centers in North Carolina that are conveniently located to accommodate adult learners:
Each site includes a library resource room equipped with computers, a printer, general books and newspapers.
For student and faculty convenience and assistance, library liaisons are assigned to each CAPE location. Liaisons are on campus librarians and staff who are assigned to assist students and faculty with research and reference questions. They are available by phone during regular weekday business hours to assist patrons. To find out the liaison and contact number for your CAPE site, please call the main desk at 919-546-8407, or call toll free 1-800-214-6683.